Wednesday, February 24, 2010

open to life

Where do I begin?

Normally I have an idea of what I'm going to write before I even begin typing.  Not so tonight.  I have so much to process and think through still, so rather than waiting for that to be done, I think I'll just write.

Last week we found out that we were expecting again. We had suspected as much for a few days, and soon there were 2 pink lines to confirm what we already knew.  We told our family and a few close friends, but mostly kept the news to ourselves for a little while.  I would have loved to have been able to announce the happy news here with an ultrasound picture or news of a strong heartbeat, but that wasn't to be.  Monday night we realized that we wouldn't be holding this baby this side of Heaven.

Somehow, I think I expected another miscarriage, so we weren't completely surprised, but still sad.  It's always too early to say goodbye to a baby and I'll never get used to that.  Things progressed on Monday and Tuesday to the point that we wound up in the ER last night.  After 3 bags of fluid and a few doses of potassium, I was feeling better and we headed home a few hours later.  We told the kids what had happened, and they took it as well as we knew they would.  They have such a better handle on eternal perspective  than I do.  They were a little bummed that we wouldn't get to hold this baby, but excited to have another brother or sister in Heaven.  

I am still feeling tired, but physically okay.  I am a peace with what God has called us to.  Although I would never choose this, I know that His ways are higher than mine.  He has called us to be the parents of 5 beautiful children here.  And He has also called us to give 2 back to him before we would have chosen.  

Early in our marriage, we felt convicted to be open to life in our family.  If God wants to be so gracious to us as to entrust us with another child, then we will joyfully and willing accept that gift.  What I have come to realize over time is that that choice is a willful act of submission on our parts.  It means that we will be open not only to the healthy, happy children that God blesses us with, but we must also trust Him when the way is hard.  

 This pregnancy ending when it did is as much a part of God's plan in our lives as the children who are sleeping upstairs are.  And we can rejoice in that.  God is faithful and He can be trusted.  Would I choose this?  No.  But my Father loves me and my children.  And He can be trusted. 

The verse on my daily calendar for Sunday, that is still on Sunday, reads:

"One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple.  For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion: in the secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me; He shall set me up upon a rock."    Psalm 27:4-5

I know this is true, and there is a comfort in that that is beyond understanding.

13 comments:

Amy said...

I am so sorry Jenny!!! I wish I had wonderful words to encourage you but I don't and some times I think that is ok too. Maybe no words but lots and lots of prayers for comfort from your Father. He hears and He will answer!!! I believe it!!!

Donna said...

Goodness Jenny- I'm so, so sorry. It sounds like you have great perspective on God's goodness in the giving and the taking. Your family is such an inspiration- I love to watch you trust God and be so generous with Him. Those two babies are already where we are all trying to get to- they never had to walk in this valley of tears- how wonderful for them. My grandmother said of her lost baby "I will hold you in my heart until I can hold you in my arms." Take Care.

BK said...

Sorry to hear about this. Wishing all the goodness in all areas of your life.

Jackie said...

Oh Jenny. I am so sorry. I'm praying for comfort and strength as you grieve.

Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing with us and blessing us by doing so!

Jessie said...

Jenny - I am sorry to hear about your family's loss. And it is always that, isn't it? No matter how small and "unknown" that little person was. My prayers will be with you that you will grieve faithfully and that this page of your story will bear much fruit in your hearts and lives. May Christ's peace surround you all.

Lindsey said...

jenny, i am so sorry for your loss. encouraged by your post. steven and i have three babies i am waiting to hold. they were all early miscarriages, and for that i am thankful, but still losses all the same. but i wouldn't have the three i have now, had the other three survived this side. my eyes are teary now even as i write this. praying for your healing.

Jennifer Werneth said...

so, so sorry jenny. thanks for sharing your heart and believing God's truth through your pain. will be praying for you...

Dena and Robbie said...

Dear Jenny and Ken, My heart breaks for your loss but is encouraged by your faith. May God meet you both in a place of peace and rest as He heals your hearts and strengthens your walk. Thank you for sharing and giving us the blessing of praying for you. Love ya.

Jen said...

Jenny-
You will be in my thoughts and prayers this week as you grieve and heal, and I am so grateful for the week of rest you are having...blessings on you all.

--Shelley said...

just like all your friends said, i will be praying for your beautiful family. your children are learning much about the Lord and a relationship with Him as they watch you and Ken walk through this life. i pray you have a joyful day tomorrow as you celebrate your sweet nathan. i can always remember his birthday because it is the same as my sweet nathan, whom i too could eat with a spoon.

Cheryl K said...

Jenny & Ken,
I am so sorry for your great loss. Praying for you and your sweet family and asking God to be near and relevant to you in your time of mourning.

Merrill said...

my heart is sad, but I love your hope in all of this! We can cry with HOPE!