Saturday, July 10, 2010

no place like home

A few weeks before we moved from Newport, I had the chance to go back home and visit with my family for a few days. Ken kept all the kids for a long weekend, and I had a vacation of sorts. He really is a rockstar Dad, and I am so thankful that he gave me a chance to get back "home" for a while. It had been over a year since I had been to Alabama and seen all of my family.


It was a nice visit and, of course, while I was there I took pictures. Because that's what I do. I took pictures of the things that I have seen at least 1000 times, yet somehow this time they looked more beautiful than I remembered. I think absence really does make the heart grow fonder.


Like the peanuts coming up in rows. Remembering the smell of the peanut fields, the dust in the air during the harvest. Sitting under the carport with my cousins picking fresh peanuts off the vine, just pulled up from the field next to the house. The smell of Mema cooking boiled peanuts.


20100529-IMG_8475

The fields, the sunsets. Growing up in a place that a secret between "you, me and the fencepost" really meant something.
20100529-IMG_8464


Aunt Molly's road. I never knew Aunt Molly. She was my Papa's cousin that died before I was born. But I remember her house that used to sit under the trees on this road. Any walk or bike ride generally was generally measured by it's proximity to Aunt Molly's. The old white, wooden house has been gone for years. But this is still Aunt Molly's road.
20100529-IMG_8460


The clothesline where Mema hung her laundry. I remember as a little girl, reaching my hand up high into the calico cloth clothes-pin hanger that she slid along beside her as she hung out the laundry. She would patiently let me help as I lifted the wet sheets from the old, silver washpan. I still love the smell of clothes hung to dry.
20100529-IMG_8451

The tree that still stands in the field behind my folks house. I remember my Papa telling me of how this tree was planted by his father, my great-grandfather... behind the house where my Papa was born, where my Mom grew up, where I grew up. The place that, 100 years after this tree was planted, is still home.
20100529-IMG_8453

The driveway where I spent hours riding my big wheel. And then my bike. Going really fast then hitting the brakes to see how far the gravel would fly. The fun that can be had on a driveway that's not paved.
20100529-IMG_8440

These pictures may not mean much if you've never been here. But something about being away from home for so long really helps me to appreciate the beauty that I'm sure I've sometimes overlooked.
20100529-IMG_8449

Who says you can't go home?

3 comments:

Jen said...

This post resonated so much with me!!! I'm such a sentimental girl and every time I go back to my Dad's house (same house I grew up in), I have similar sentiments of just remembering SO fondly years of the past. And how, the older you get, the more we can appreciate the beauty of the mundane. LOVE it, Jenny. And the photos make it all the better! Great art!

Jackie said...

Beautiful.

Merrill said...

Beautiful snapshots of Alabama. My Nanny had a calico clothes pin hanger and clothes line just like the one you mentioned. She had a wash house where my mom had signed her name as a child and I signed mine. Places are so evocative- stamped on our memories.