Tuesday, December 1, 2009

the zoo

On Sunday afternoon, we got to enjoy some long awaited nice weather.  I've been a bit surprised by how much is rains here and when it's not raining, it's been windy and gray.  Not my favorite things.  However, we've also been pleasantly surprised by an "extended" Fall.  It's still warm enough (on the nice days) to get out a bit and do a little poking around.  So we went to the Zoo.  It's not a very big zoo but still very nice and just the right size for the kids.  There weren't too many people there, so we got to just mosey around and see all there was to see.

We got to see elephants and giraffes.  We got to see a video of this little baby giraffe being born.  Very cool and, of course, raised lots of questions from my curious little people. 
20091129-<span class=

I loved seeing their little faces peeking over all the fences.
20091129-<span class=

And we saw zebras and wildebeests.
20091129-<span class=

The zoo is in the middle of a big park with lots of lakes and other fun, historical stuff.  So we stopped and enjoyed feeding the fish.
20091129-<span class=

It was time for a lunch break, so we fed our own wildlife too.
20091129-<span class=

And I didn't forget about this one.  He spent the whole day on Daddy's back, but we plopped him in the stroller for a sandwich.
20091129-<span class=

I don't remember what this bird was called, but he attacked the glass while we were watching him.  The kids thought it was very neat.  I love this picture of Jakey and the bird watching each other.  I think once I clean it up, it could be a really cool photo.
20091129-<span class=

The kids hopped around on toadstools and there was even a huge wooden caterpillar to climb on.  Which Jake loved, of course.  Gracie and the girls all pretended to be frogs.
20091129-<span class=

It was a fun afternoon and hopefully we'll get to go back again when the weather is nice.  This weekend we'll be decorating our Christmas tree and going to a community Christmas party that even includes a visit from Santa.  You think the kids are excited about that?  Just a little.  :)


3 comments:

Jessie said...

fun pictures, Jenny. I especially love the one with the bird and reflection! Hey, can you tell me what kind of camera you have? I am considering one for bday/christmas, and am asking around what people like...

Jackie said...

So fun! St. Louis has an AMAZING zoo. It's in the middle of Forest Park. And the Bird Exhibit was renovated from the original 1904 World's Fair Flight Cage. And the best part is, it's free. So, if you're ever in St. Louis...I'm just sayin'.

Hen Jen said...

love the bird photo, it's kind of neat with your child's face reflecting..you have a lovely blog, a lovely family, and you take great photos! I enjoyed my visit here.

Have a great new week!

much grace and peace to you,