Tuesday, September 8, 2009

garbage bandits

It's Tuesday, and you know what that means.  Well, maybe you don't.  But, lately around here, Tuesday means raccoons.  Tuesday night is the night before garbage day on Wednesday, and it seems to be the point in the week when the temptation of the garbage can is too much for the local raccoons to resist.  For the past 3 weeks, we've awoken on Wednesday morning to a mess of garbage strewn about the backyard.  We've guessed that we probably had a raccoon that was frequenting our backyard.  What we didn't realize is that we have 5 raccoons!  When we heard them banging around last week, we flipped on the light and coons were everywhere.  They are not, however, even the least bit afraid of us.  Ken and I were standing 15 feet from them and Ken was throwing things at them, and they just sat there and looked at us.  I personally think that's a little creepy. 

20090901-IMG_7898
Notice how the one on top has the other one trapped inside.  "Dude, get off the lid!"

So, I just took some pictures of them and eventually they meandered off to the rest of the garbage cans in the neighborhood.  However, you won't be finding me taking garbage out by myself at night.   I've seen Old Yeller, so I know what can happen if you tie up with a coon.

No comments: