Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sated or hungry?

Today I was reading in Proverbs 27:7

"A sated man loathes honey,
but to a famished man any bitter thing is sweet."

As I read this verse today, the Spirit revealed to me the root of a problem that I find myself facing daily. Over and over I find that I am satisfied or long to be satisfied with the things of the world.... but why? I know that the things of the Lord are eternal and hold true satisfaction. I know that this world holds nothing for me. Yet, daily I will turn to those things in which I find comfort, those things that are tangible and time consuming and worldly. Those very things that, if I allow them to, will consume my thoughts, my time and, eventually, all that I hold dear. So, why do I allow this?

I find that I am most vulnerable to this when I am not abiding in the Word, clinging to the Spirit...when I am famished. When I am famished...not satisfying myself in the Lord...any bitter thing is sweet. Any bitter thing this world has to offer seems appealing and satisfying. But...when I am satisfied with God alone, not the "sweetest" thing, not the most alluring temptation, is appealing to me. My appetite has been satisfied in Him alone. I pray that I will daily run to the one that satisfies and leave behind all that is truly bitter.

1 comment:

Dena and Robbie said...

Wow, that is so true of me too. Thank you for sharing this. Miss you.