Monday, June 28, 2010

getting settled

I really like to wait to blog until I have pictures. Because a post without pictures is like a day without... well, it's just better with pictures. However, posting photos right now would require a whole new level of togetherness that I just do not have right now. We're getting there, but I"m just not there yet.

The house is coming along. We've finally made it through all the boxes and we're just getting down to the details now. We can find most things, but they're definitely not yet in their proper places. Ken started to work the day after our household goods arrived, so our time together to unpack has been limited. I have many small children milling about all day here, so my time to unpack alone has been limited as well.

One of my favorite features about our new place right now is that I have a dedicated school room. Last year, trying to homeschool in the living/dining/school/all-purpose room was a challenge. It's nice to have space to spread out with our projects.

Something that has surprised me about being here is how much everyone in the neighborhood seems to keep to themselves. We're coming from base housing where everyone rushes to meet and greet the new people moving in. Not so here. In 2 weeks we've only met 2 neighbors, both on our own initiative. I wasn't really expecting a welcome wagon, but a howdy-doo would be nice. This afternoon the kids and I will be making cookies and taking them to neighbors we haven't met yet. We're going to get to know a few people. Whether they like it or not.

There is a ton of things to do here. And also many, many people to do them. I'm hopeful to start exploring this week and see a few sights with the kiddos. I think a few fun outings would be a real morale booster for our box weary family.

We tried a new church today. It was nice. Very traditional and liturgical, both of which I liked. I'm looking forward to settling in with a church family here, so we can make some real connections with like-minded friends. The church also has a Classical school that follows a homeschool model. The kids are technically registered as homeschoolers, but attend classical classes from 8:30 to 12:30 every day, followed up with parental instruction at home. It sounds wonderful to a tired mommy, and I could see so many advantages to such a school. My heart has been toward homeschooling for a while, so this would be a change of plans if we entertained the idea of this school. What to do. At this point, choices just muddy the waters of my heart. Still, it's something to consider.

I'm enjoying the still, quiet moments of early morning here right now, before the pitter-patters of little feet begin to grow into a deafening roar. I got to rock my littlest guy back to sleep this morning for about 20 minutes. And I loved it. I really want to treasure these days. I know they are passing all to quickly. I can't believe my oldest in about to be 9 and my youngest is running around the house like a madman. Even in the craziness, I don't want to wish these days away. I know I will miss them. These move-all-the-time-constant-transition-crazy-busy days. It is only a season... to learn from, to grow in, to follow my God thru... and to enjoy.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm glad you didn't wait for photos to post. Your words paint just as clear a picture.

Hopefully, your neighbors will remember that Virginia is still "the South," and a little hospitality goes a long way.

Praying for new friends!

Jen said...

One of the gals from church called me today to see if she could get your contact info...so hoping that you'll have at least one friend soon! I think you'll love her! And I can totally relate to your school dilemma...I LOVED the looks of that school and think it would be hard not to if we were there. BUT...cost is always an option so I'll be praying for wisdom for you all! Love you my friend!

Jennifer Werneth said...

i love that you're the new neighbor, but you're still going to them with cookies! awesome! glad you seem to have already found a church you like. praying it will feel like home and that you'll find some sweet friends.