Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy All Hallows' Eve!

20091030-<span class=
 Well, we made it through the sugar induced craziness of the night and everyone had a blast.  The kids were saying and Ken and I agreed that this was an exceptionally fun Halloween for the kids.  Last night we carved pumpkins, today we made green rice krispy treats, and tonight we joined the neighborhood in lots of family fun.  

20091030-IMG_1353


All of our neighbors came together for a potluck in the courtyard this afternoon.  All the kids were dressed up and there was food galore.  We all ate and let the kids play until it was time for the trick or treating to begin.  Once it began, our kids along with all the others, began the candy free for all.

20091031-<span class=

In no particular order, here were the characters at our house this year.  Claire was a ballerina (or a ballerina princess, depending on the day you ask her).  This should really come as no surprise to anyone.  She was made for this.


Hannah, after much deliberation, was Pocahontas.  I think she  made a cute blond-haired, blue-eyed Indian.
20091031-<span class=

Grace, staying true to her creative side, went as a skunk.  She decided this on her own, and I did the best I could to make a skunk costume.  This outfit was inspired by the crazy number of skunks that roam around here....including in our backyard... but more on that later.


Nathan went as an adorable baby boy in Halloween PJs.  He's already a pumpkin, even without a costume.  


And Jakey was our race car driver (Nascar to be exact).  He loves this outfit and has worn it most of the week.



Gracie said tonight that the best part of Halloween was that the next day is November and that means Thanksgiving is coming soon.  Claire said the best part of Halloween is the candy.  To each his own.    We now have everyone's teeth brushed and have tucked them into bed.  


Now off to set the clocks back an hour. Am I the only one who thinks that totally pointless and very inconvenient?  Extra hour of sleep?  Whatever.  That's only for people with no children under 5.  All it means to me is that my kids will be up at 5am for the next week and I have to bring them inside an hour earlier at night.  I think we should just keep it the same time all year round.  You know, now that we have electricity and all.  I'm just sayin.

Anyway, I hope you had a fun All Hallows' Eve and that you have a fun All Saints Day tomorrow!  We'll be celebrating that too.... starting at around 5am.

3 comments:

Donna said...

How precious- love their costumes. Marky would LOVE that racecar suit- how fun. And I am in total agreement on daylight savings time. What in the world- it would be so much easier to keep it the same. And now Daddy will come home at 6:00 and it will be pitch black outside. I say scrap it! P.S. I will get back to you on the Catholic stuff. I get self-conscious about it sometimes and worry people will judge- I have to get over it and tell the story!

Maria said...

What fun costumes! If Hannah was Catholic, she'd make a perfect St. Kateri Takawitha, the Lily of the Mohawks. Kateri became a Christian despite the disapproval of her entire tribe and endured much persecution for her love of Christ. I'm afraid I can't recall any ballerina, race car driver, or skunk saints though :)

Unknown said...

Great costumes - creative! I'm with you on the daylights savings time - it should be all year! Haven't slept past 6 yet this week!