Monday, August 24, 2009

This is not reality...this is Rhode Island.

As we're settling in to the swing of things here in Newport, I've been noticing the vacation mentality that surrounds us.  This is a wildly popular tourist spot for New Englanders and we have the traffic to prove it.  Everyone tells us that things around here will slow down dramatically after labor day, and I, for one, can't wait.  For those of you familiar with PCB in the summer, it's like having to drive the "strip" to go anywhere.

However, traffic aside, I can see why people might want to take a little time and visit here.  The views are breath-taking, the shops are quaint, the atmosphere festive.  But as I look around at the touristy spots, the one thing that they have in common is they are a far cry from reality. Most people's reality anyway.

There are mansions to tour and fancy shoppes in which you can spend inordinate amounts of money.  There is gold trimmed this and leather that.  There are yachts and schooners and more yachts, sailing over pristine waters and overlooking magnificent sunsets.  There are lots of convertibles, toupees and diamond clad women carrying little dogs.  You can tour vineyards, attend wine tastings and catch a Sunday afternoon polo tournament.  As long as it doesn't conflict with your lobster boil, sunset cruise and tennis lesson.

Now, although I happen to find this way of life rather unappealing, I can appreciate that people sometimes desire a break from their own reality, whatever that may be.  In fact, Newport is a break from reality for us as well.  As I'm taking photographs of my children on the beach and going for family walks in the evenings, I am well aware that this isn't really our reality either.

Ken is a student right now.  We are loving the break from his "real" job.  He's coming home early and we're spending lots of much  needed family time together.  I'm homeschooling this year, which by the way is no where near my reality.  We're enjoying the beauty here and taking in the slower pace of life while it lasts.  I'm sure reality will hit us right between the eyes next June when we resume a normal schedule of sorts.  The carriage might turn back into a pumpkin.  And that's okay.  But for right now, we have had a short season of rest. And for however long it lasts, we'll be thankful for it.


20090824-IMG_7420

1 comment:

BB Tucker said...

Jenny, I'm Donna's Mom. I just want to first say you have the most beautiful family, and secondly say THANK YOU. Thank your husband for dedicating his life to protecting mine, and thank you and the children for your huge sacrifice for the rest of us. Your family is making the ultimate sacrifice for this country....and I really have no words to adequatly honor you.
My husband and I went to Newport one vacation and visited the "cottages". You are correct, this is not a typical lifestyle. The chowder there is extra good, though!
Hope your assignment is a blessing for you all, and "Hooyah" and "Anchors Away"!