Thursday, September 9, 2010

school days

Fall is finally almost here and the school days are beginning.  Only this year, our 3 oldest are going to school-school, not homeschool.  Although they are technically still homeschoolers.  Let me explain.

I'll start with this.  I love homeschooling.  I have a heart for it.  I think it is a wonderful thing, and I have met so many beautiful homeschooling families.  In my perfect world, I would homeschool a house full of little ones. (I would also live on a farm in the midwest, knit sweaters,  and grind my own flaxseed.... but that's a conversation for another day.)

I can honestly say that I enjoyed our time homeschooling last year.  I could go into a litany of reasons why, but I'll just suffice it to say it was just what our family needed.

This year, our plan was to homeschool again.  However, I was staring down the barrel of teaching a 3rd grader, a 2nd grader, a Kindergartner, a preschooler and chasing one amazingly active toddler.  It would be fair to say that I've been more than a little overwhelmed at that thought. On top of that, a couple of our children have a few special needs that require some extra time and attention in teaching and in life in general.

With a heart as open as possible, we have prayed for God's leading in this trepidatious area of how to best educate our kids.  I do very much believe that their education is ultimately our responsibility.  Education is far more, I think, than academics but is discipleship.

Once we got here in June, we had a friend recommend to us a great church here that her family attended. (Again... thanks, Jen!) She mentioned that the church was affiliated with a school that was a homeschool/private school hybrid type thing.  We decided to visit the church and check out the school.  And both were just what we were hoping for.

20100907-IMG_0545

The jest of it is that the kids are still technically homeschoolers.  However, they attend "school" everyday, but only until 12:30.  It is a very, very small school and classical in it's approach.  I've never really studied the classical method of education, but from what I'm learning about it, it seems excellent. The children are taught a very rigorous classical curriculum which is entirely Bible based.  The teachers are mostly teachers who have also been homeschoolers and are very passionate about their faith and the importance of discipleship in education.

It is a fun, very close-knit school that really teaches the whole child.  Not only are they taught reading, math and history, but they are also taught respect and discipline.  They are taught the importance of properly greeting adults and looking them in the eye.  Yes ma'am  and yes sir are a must.  Boys are taught to always hold doors open and the idea of (gasp) "ladies first".  These things would seems terribly out of place in many traditional schools these days, but honestly it makes the school such a wonderful, peaceful place to be.  And the kids LOVE that. They are treated with respect and learn to treat others with respect.

20100908-IMG_0568
What I love is that while I know they are getting an excellent education of the mind, I know the teachers care about their heart as well. I also love that I have them home and homework completed by around 1:00 everyday.  That pleases my homeschooling heart.... knowing that I still have so much of the day with my kids to just be with them, as they walk by the way.  And not being responsible for 100% of the teaching? I feel like I can breathe again.  And the boys are loving this arrangement, too.  They get prime mommy time every morning to just play and be boys! I love that I'm finally getting extra time with my littlest ones.  

20100908-IMG_0563
This school has been such a blessing to us in so many ways.  Private school times 5 children really wasn't an option.  But because this school is "part time", we're able to send 3 kids for the price of one at a typical private school. And as far as class size and individual attention?Wonderful.  Claire has 4 kids total in her Kindergarten class.  I have more kids than that in my house!

20100907-IMG_0551
Obviously, no situation is perfect.  We're still working out the kinks of our daily schedule...primarily Nathan's nap schedule.   And the intensity of the studies is going to take a little getting used to (Hannah and I are already learning Latin!).  And I know I'm going to sorely miss keeping my kiddos at home come cold and flu season. But all in all, a blessing it has been.  We had no idea when we moved here that God would meet our needs like this... a loving Christian school that provides such a great ministry to homeschoolers, less than 10 minutes from our house.

We're excited for the school year.  Hopeful and thankful and loving seeing the kids so enjoying where they are.  Oh, and one more perk.... uniforms? Not picking out clothes everyday for 3 girls?  Priceless.

And this little girl.... 5 years old.  Off to school for the first time.  She was nervous at first, but kept a kiss in her hand and did just fine.  Now, social butterfly that she is, can't wait to go to school everyday.  
20100907-IMG_0554

And on her second day of school? Lost her first tooth.  Where does the time go?

Have a happy and blessed school year!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

That's so exciting. What a blessing! And the pics of the girls in their uniforms? Adorable.

Jen said...

So. So. SO wish we could join you!!! I hated to leave there because it looked ideal! Glad you're enjoying it and that they are flourishing!

Donna said...

Sounds wonderful- a great school with a great philosophy. We are homeschooling in the classical style and I am a HUGE fan. LOVE their little uniforms- what beautiful girls you have!

Jessie said...

Sounds PERFECT! And I totally understand about sweet time with the little one(s). I forgot what it was like to enjoy reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear! Oh, and they all look just darling, too.